Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Classic Movie at a Classic Theater

Steel City Underground

Temple of Doom screening at the Hollywood Theater”

By Anthony Folino



            On June 11, I had an opportunity to see the classic “Indiana Jones and
The Temple of Doom” at a classic American theater.  The Hollywood Theater
Nestled in the Pittsburgh suburb of Dormont PA is a classic 400 seat theater that
has been standing since 1933.  It has also been the off and on home of the
“Rocky Horror Picture Show” for the past twenty years.  Over the years I have
seen many movies at the Hollywood but this was special.  Being a child of the
1980’s Dr Indiana Jones was one of my heroes so seeing “Temple of Doom
on the big screen was a real treat for me.



            Passing under the baby blue neon sign that hangs in front of the theater
I enter the lobby the smell of fresh popped popcorn fills the air and I think to
myself this is the real deal.  Upon paying for my ticket, popcorn and soda I
realize that the total price would have been the price of a single ticket at the
local megaplex theater.  I take my ticket and my food and head for the balcony
this is what sets this theater apart from most of the others around the Pittsburgh
area. 



            At 9:30 the lights go dark and we are treated to a 1940’s Superman
cartoon a great flashback to when I was a child.  As the cartoon ends we
are treated to the main movie in all of its big screen glory.  All of a sudden
I am 6 years old again thinking it would be cool to swing from a bullwhip
and that the mine carts would make one hell of a rollercoaster.  It was fun to
go back to a simpler time.


            The Hollywood theater is run by a local non profit called Friends of
The Hollywood and we here at Steel City Underground Love that.  Please
take a break from the malls and megaplexes go eat at a local restaurant and
see a movie at an independent theater.  Support your local small businesses
that is what we are all about.



No comments:

Post a Comment