Friday, August 21, 2026

The career of the Meadows brothers

On October 11th, 2025, a crisp autumn morning with a slight chill in the air, the phone buzzed on an end table. Travis Meadows, a native of Uniontown, Pennsylvania, the home base for Ryse Wrestling, the league that he and his brother worked with, got the call he was waiting for. It was a call he wasn't sure if he would get, and he didn't know if it would be a false alarm.

That call from UPMC Hospital in Pittsburgh was the call that saved his life.

He had already spent three weeks in the hospital in his hometown before he was transferred to the bigger medical facility in Pittsburgh that August. The previous few months were a complete whirlwind, as doctors searched for answers throughout the spring before the static yellow eyes of jaundice hinted that the friendly-faced fellow at the matches was in serious jeopardy.  

"It never hurt. I was uncomfortable, but never in pain. All of this suddenly, started during the summer of 2025, I was gaining weight, but I wasn't eating. It got to the point that it was impossible for me to walk Basic terms, the weight was a nasty bile in my stomach that was tearing my insides up. My liver wasn't able to process this bile and it poured out into me, Travis explained.

When his condition was stable enough, he was allowed to go home. His name was on the transplant list, but the uncertainly of if he could remain stable long enough to find a donor hung over their household like a dark cloud before a brewing thunderstorm.

"I started with a positive nature.This was all a part of the process of things wearing on me. The multiple denials of a transplant, I was coming to a point where I was begging and crying in front of this doctor for a chance. So, I became a mental wreck," Travis said.

Just a month after being placed on the list, one half of the Meadows brothers got the green light for a liver transplant.

"My liver was coming from Kentucky," Travis recounted when he recalled the disbelief that he had in the moment. 

"He got the call on for the surgery, which ended up being a go. What I mean, I'm saying that they said sometimes people get called for a transplant, but when they see the organ with their eyes, they realize that it won't work. But, this was good to go on the first try," Travis' brother, Bryan explained.

The Meadows family knew that there was a long road ahead of them, a path with potential pitfalls and road blocks. However, the family unit supported one another throughout the medical ordeal.

"My place while he was sick, I felt was to be there for everyone. Yes, for him, but to also be there equally for our mom. I was probably spending more time with her than him," Bryan commented.

"I wish I could appreciate my illness more, as odd as it sounds. I ended up viewing it as a big bad villain that ruined Bryan and my mother's life. Then, there was a chance to live again," Travis added.

The dim florescent lights in Travis' hospital room for the next few months of recovery were quite the contrast to the bight colors of World Championship Wrestling's bright colors of the early-90s, a period of their lives that bonded the brothers together through the over-the-top spectacle of professional wrestling that beamed through their television screens.

The Meadows brothers were going to channel one of their favorites from their youth, metaphorically landing a tag team Stinger splash on the villainous liver to make room for the baby face organ that would get Travis back to health.

"I started as a big WCW fan, WWF was fine, but my world revolved around WCW, he said.

"We would literally spend days in the Uniontown Mall, just hanging out while our mom worked. I was probably like nine when that started," Bryan said of their childhood.

The brothers were a package deal, they were family by blood, but best friends by choice. Naturally, when Bryan stumbled upon a flyer that advertised a pro wrestling training school in his hometown, he had to check it out. But, even though Travis didn't see himself in the ring, the duo were going to explore this sports entertainment adventure together, the same way that had spent their lives at each other's side.

"I took the card and gave it some though. I wasn't sure I could pull of being a wrestler, but thought that being a ref, I could see what that was all about. Training for a while was a new level of being in pain, but fun. I was finally seeing what I saw on TV from the other side. I got Travis into it because I am not great in new situations, but knew if I could convince him it would help," Bryan said.

"I felt like it he wasn't going to be alone with this journey," Travis added.

By the end of 2019, Bryan Meadows was the third man in the ring for Ryse Wrestling bouts, controlling the in-ring mayhem and putting down the three count. Travis became a jack-of-all trades, he did anything and everything that was needed of him, earning his proverbial stripes while his brother wore literal stripes. Travis set up chairs, filmed matches or interviews, and also conducted interviews on any given event. The two became warm faces around the locker room that greeted everyone with a smile, a sign of their genuine enthusiasm.

"When I was the interviewer, as well as the camera man before that, I was becoming an excited child to get the show and see what was happening. I rushed through my day to get to this moment," Travis commented.

So, when the news broke on social media of Travis' medical emergency, as well as the Meadows brothers' absence from the live events while he was in the hospital, dozens of messages of support flooded in from their pro wrestling peers to wish him well. When Bryan could make it to an event while Travis was healing at home in late-2025, it wasn't uncommon for the phone to be passed around so that Travis could hear from his friends.

Just a few months ago, Travis was able to return to Ryse Wrestling live events, still building up his strength from the life-threatening experience, but beaming with a smile to be back among not only the crew, but in the atmosphere that bonded the brothers together more than thirty years ago, professional wrestling.

"I love being at the shows. Everyone there are not just my friends, but my family now and I want the best for them. I took reffing away from Bryan, but now the best feeling in the world is watching him ref. He is at his best now," Travis said of his comeback.

"The biggest take away besides being able to do some amazing things, is just the amount of people that our now great friends that we wouldn't have if we didn't do this at all," added Bryan.

Despite the peaks and valleys of the health scare that startled their entire family, the ritual to get prepared for an evening of grappling remains the same for them.

"After loading the car with whatever we need for the show like gear bags, snacks, and any different drinks we might want for the rest of the day, we work until about 3 PM that day. After work, we head to the venue. Once there, we make our rounds and start to get ready for the show. He sees what he needs to do, and I get dressed and get my assignment," Bryan commented.

Travis Meadows found himself on the canvas with a liver that turned heel on him, as just a year ago, he was pondering what his life would be, or if he'd have any life at all. With a little help from his friends, his pro wrestling peers with their rallying support, Travis made the comeback with his own baby face fire to return to the road of good health with a new liver to lead the way. Of course, Travis couldn't have done that with his brother, Bryan in his corner. 

Travis answered the bell, and how he can watch his brother make the three count inside the squared circle once again.  

"I am enjoying the small things more. Popcorn, Nutty Buddy bars ,and smelling brewed coffee. How quieting things can get in the early mornings. I'm Enjoying people more, people are surprisingly cool," Travis concluded.

No comments:

Post a Comment